Schedule Changes Years 4, 5, 6
Announcements/RE: Schedule Changes
We are beginning Y5 Term 3 (we were on the old schedule). I'm keeping the old schedule for everything in the rest of Y5, except I'm wondering about what to do with geography. I'm inclined to slow us down to one Halliburton chapter a week in term 3, finish the remaining 7 chapters of Marvels in the first 7 weeks of Y6 Term 1, and then pick up with the Hillyer chapter scheduled in Y6 wk 8. Is there some kind of conflict that I'm not seeing? Is there a better part of Hillyer to pick up with, or would earlier chapters of Hillyer be redundant with Marvels?

Thank you!!!
Jessie (Y12, Y9, Y6, Y3, Y0 - can't quite bring myself to use pink)
(04-03-2017, 02:21 AM)giddiegoof Wrote: We are beginning Y5 Term 3 (we were on the old schedule).  I'm keeping the old schedule for everything in the rest of Y5, except I'm wondering about what to do with geography.  I'm inclined to slow us down to one Halliburton chapter a week in term 3, finish the remaining 7 chapters of Marvels in the first 7 weeks of Y6 Term 1, and then pick up with the Hillyer chapter scheduled in Y6 wk 8.  Is there some kind of conflict that I'm not seeing?  Is there a better part of Hillyer to pick up with, or would earlier chapters of Hillyer be redundant with Marvels?  

Thank you!!!

I am in the same position as you and wondering the same thing. I'll be looking forward to reading the advice.
Aussie mother of three dd's (13,11, & 10), and a 5-year-old boy, who relocated to the U.S. 8 years ago and has been an AO mom for just as long.
mumtomom.net
I don't think Hillyer would be redundant with Marvels, they are different types of books. Hillyer is more of an intentional overview, while Marvels follows the author's journeys.
Amy, who wishes to be a hobbit :)
Two homeschool graduates (DS20, DS19)
Currently homeschooling (DS16, DD13)
I'm just noticing this now, with a son near the end of term 1 year 6, and a daughter working her way through term 1 of year 5. So far, I've decided to:

-Have my daughter slow down Halliburton and just finish reading Ocean of Truth as scheduled. I think I'm going to keep the other biographies the same, because we own Trotter and I think she'd enjoy it. Is that all I need to think about with her?

-We own Child's Geography, so I'm going to have my son switch to that for a while. We had Livingstone on inter-library loan, and I had to return it, so I was kind of freaking out. This gives me a bit more time to purchase it.

-He's already mostly done with School of the Woods, so he'll finish it. Not sure what to do about The Sea Around Us...

-Is there anything about the term one schedule that will affect Iliad and Odyssey?
~Tiana~
Follower of Christ, Helpmeet to Christopher, Mama to 7 beautiful blessings

+ one more being knit together in secret, EDD 10/4/2019
The following 1 user Likes Titus245Mama's post:
  • PolartribeMommy
(03-31-2017, 10:39 AM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: There is nothing wrong with the Butler's translation, but it's long and makes for a lot of reading in the week. If she can handle the reading, then Butler's is a very good option!

Working on scheduling Y6 for my eldest next year and was curious if this is why retellings of the Iliad and Odyssey replaced the original Iliad? It just seemed counter to the usual board advice not use children versions of Plutarch, etc. (or maybe I've just reread that section on Plutarch too many times, to convince myself we CAN do this(!!!!), that I'm placing too much emphasis on the anti-child's version stance?)
(05-13-2017, 09:04 AM)jaderbee Wrote: Working on scheduling Y6 for my eldest next year and was curious if this is why retellings of the Iliad and Odyssey replaced the original Iliad? It just seemed counter to the usual board advice not use children versions of Plutarch, etc. (or maybe I've just reread that section on Plutarch too many times, to convince myself we CAN do this(!!!!), that I'm placing too much emphasis on the anti-child's version stance?)
Im not the advisory, so I can't speak to why, but I had to spread out the Iliad over two terms and was sad we didn't have time to do the Odyssey. With the retellings, there is time for both. The Iliad is a big time commitment. We made it through, but it was definitely one I had to read aloud and make time for multiple days a week. I think it's still an option you could use, but the retellings are more accessible, more doable for more people, and could be read independently.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
~Michelle
dd19 (AO grad), ds17 (Y11), ds15 (Y9), ds13 (Y7), dd10 (Y5), ds8 (Y3)
Amblesiding from the start
The following 1 user Likes MichelleChoe's post:
  • LeslieNoelani
(05-13-2017, 09:39 AM)MichelleChoe Wrote: Im not the advisory, so I can't speak to why, but I had to spread out the Iliad over two terms and was sad we didn't have time to do the Odyssey. With the retellings, there is time for both. The Iliad is a big time commitment.

Yes, this is exactly it. We wanted to be able to include the Odyssey as well as the Iliad.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 2 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • Janice, VanessaB
(03-22-2017, 10:28 AM)U.K. LeslieNoelani Wrote: The grid chart schedules haven't been updated yet, but should be updated in the next day or two (thanks to Kathy!) Even after that happens, you'll still be able to access the old weekly schedules and their grid charts. The link will be at the top of the current (newer) 36-week schedule.

I don't see the link leading to the old weekly schedules. Can someone direct me? We would like to print out the old term 3 chart for years 6 and 8 for note keeping purposes, as we are just finishing those terms now.

ETA: okay, I see it in year 6 but not year 8. It is not a big deal, but if the old year 8 can be accessed I'd like to. Thanks
Mom to dd14 (y9), dd12 (y7), dd 10 (y4), dd8 (y2/3), ds6 (y0/1), ds4 & dd4. Learning to homeschool with busy twins ;) ...loving AO!
Sorry,  double post.
Hmmm...what happened to the weekly schedules for years 1-6? I reference them frequently to plan each week and now they're not there...unless I'm totally missing something! Help!?
Pursuing Truth, Goodness, Beauty
Growing in Knowledge, Wisdom, Virtue
With my husband, 5 boys, 1 dog, 2 goats, 30 chickens
On 20 acres in Michigan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Schedule Updates lklivingston 142 320,480 02-11-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  We’ve Made Some Changes To Parts of Years 7-12! Donna-Jean 98 145,820 07-26-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: andrealisabeth
  Updated Madam How in text-only version (Years 4 and 5) AnneWhite 0 12,395 07-24-2020, 09:40 PM
Last Post: AnneWhite
  New! and Improved! Combo years 7/8 and 8/9 LeslieNoelani 19 189,145 08-17-2018, 05:07 AM
Last Post: wanderingstar
  Geography Addition: Years 4-6 LeslieNoelani 22 270,514 03-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Last Post: BecTasmanian
  Year 9 Booklist and Schedule Change lklivingston 13 176,847 09-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Last Post: mama2lots
  Chart Schedule Updates lklivingston 34 426,971 08-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Year 5 Schedule Change lklivingston 5 87,722 07-11-2016, 12:13 PM
Last Post: monica626
  Science Change: Years 2 and 3/Pagoo LeslieNoelani 1 62,199 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Phyllis