Problems searching the AO site
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: [split] search function is not working
(08-04-2022, 05:05 AM)Katie Rose Wrote: I'm not 100% sure if the original post meant the search wasn't functioning here on the forum or over on the main site, but I wanted to add my experience here since I was just having (perhaps) similar difficulties.

From the main site I was searching for specific book titles that I was *certain* were on the site, and was getting 0 results. I was typing into the search box on the top of the site and was getting zero results. I thought I had mistyped, and then when and looked in the year I thought it was in which took a little longer that a search would have but since I had an idea of where to look wasn't a big deal. I really thought I had mistyped something and then didn't give it another thought when I manually when to what I was looking for. Today I was looking for The Gift of the Magi by O Henry. I thought it had been mentioned somewhere, but it didn't come up. That's when I noticed that the search engine automatically used in this case was different than what I usually use. So I tested it with ones I knew it should find. Search terms like "livingston" and "polo" weren't coming up with anything. Not a single result. I remember the search feature on the site being much more effective when I last used it (who knows when that was though...) so I decided to try some same searches but on different search engines.

Here are some of my exact searches and their results:

polo site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 46 from google, 0 from bing

livingston site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 35 from google, 0 from bing

o henry site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 178 from google, 0 from bing

churchill site:amblesideonline.org
5 results from duckduckgo, 166 from google, 5 from bing

just added one more, from the previous post:

washington site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 209 from google, 0 from bing

I'm sure that the search engine was chosen for specific reasons, but it seems like the current one is not working (and that Bing wouldn't be any better). Finding 0 results could be very frustrating or lead someone to believe various books are not included only to find out later that their results lead them to the wrong conclusion and they passed on a book they would have otherwise purchased. (Because my guess is that many times people are searching the website to quickly see if a book they have come across is needed for a future year). It is very possible I have a setting that is preventing results from appearing, but I can't think of what it might be (if you know, please tell me!)

I have had the same experience with the search, for quite some time now. I don't know if it is because it uses duckduckgo, or some other reason, but I get no results when searching a book title or a term that I know for certain is on the website.
MaryEllen
Mom of 2 AO Graduates
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: [split] search function is not working
I just put Livingston in the search box, and DuckDuckGo returned two pages of results, which is what I would have expected.
"polo" also returned many results for me in DuckDuckGo.

I will mention this in our tech area to see if anyone has an idea why some are not getting good results. I don't think it's specifically because of the search engine, since the same engine produces fine results for some (as my test just now indicates). But we do need to understand it. Thank you for alerting us!
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
Could you tell me what browser you were using and on what type of device?
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
My above results were all on Firefox on a pc desktop (Lenovo, if that matters). I just tried again on the same PC using Chrome instead:

polo site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 47 from google, 0 from bing (1 additional google result on Chrome, others same)

livingston site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 38 from google, 0 from bing (3 additional google results on Chrome, others same)

o henry site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 178 from google, 0 from bing (52 additional google results on Chrome, others same)

churchill site:amblesideonline.org
5 results from duckduckgo, 144 from google, 4 from bing (same DDG results, 22 fewer google, 1 fewer bing)

washington site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 236 from google, 0 from bing (27 additional google results on Chrome, others same)

I really don't know what's different from my computer to yours. Just to see if there was any difference I tried the same searches all over again from my iphone using the safari browser and starting on the AO main site. All of my results on duckduck go were the same as my initial test, meaning 0 results for all of them except Churchill which had 5. I then tried on Bing and had the same experience. Finally, I tested on google and I'm presuming had the same results (or similar), but since they apparently don't post how many results they have found on the mobile site I'm not sitting and counting them all and there were a bunch :) (I also did one search from my husband's iphone since it's newer than mine and had the same: 0 livingston results on it).

Since I also have the edge browser on my computer I tried that. I don't know if I've ever used it before so I'm guessing it would have factory settings still. Doing a quick test (only on duckduckgo this time) with the above searches I got identical results as the first time.

I'm testing everything I can think of! lol I just want to know why mine isn't getting the same results as yours! If my kids' kindle were charged I'd check that too because I want to know! I'll plug it in when I head to bed. This way if I think of it again tomorrow I can check that. I don't know if all this is helpful, but if it's not useful just ignore it. :-)
married to "...Hey, Babe?" [Heart <3] using AO for Groups in New Jersey with:
my Giant ('08), my shining Storm ('10), my morning Tempest ('12), and my glittering Gale ('14)
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/[split] search function is not working
No, it's all helpful! Thank you.
Kathy 
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/[split] search function is not working
Something else to try:
clear cookies before you search.
What happens?
Kathy 
On my iPad, v15.5, Safari browser. Zero results for "Polo"
On my computer at work, an HP, Chrome browser, 2 pages of results for Polo.
MaryEllen
Mom of 2 AO Graduates
The following 1 user Likes MaryEllen's post:
  • Katie Rose
I searched for polo and livingston on my kindle fire, silk browser. 0 results each on Duckduckgo and Bing, didn't count them on google but there were lots. (I hate typing on it so I only did those two search terms)

I cleared the cookies on each of the three browsers on my pc (1st edge, then chrome, then firefox.) After clearing each of the browsers I went in the same order to search for the previous searches. On all three browsers I got identical results this time as opposed to the slight variations last time:

(number of results listed are in order from DDG, Bing, then google)

Polo 0, 0, 64 (several more than before clearing cookies)
Livingston 0, 0, 52 (again, more than the previous two time
Washington 0, 0, 212 (in between the previous two searches)
O Henry 0, 0, 176 (2 fewer than the previous searches)
Churchill 5, 5, 218 (quite a few more than the previous searches)

Now I'm over here wondering what browser and device you are using that you're getting results that I can't duplicate on any device I've tried lol
my Giant ('08), my shining Storm ('10), my morning Tempest ('12), and my glittering Gale ('14)
(08-05-2022, 12:29 AM)MaryEllen Wrote: On my iPad, v15.5, Safari browser. Zero results for "Polo"
On my computer at work, an HP, Chrome browser, 2 pages of results for Polo.

Was this from the ambleside search bar on the main page (or, alternatively, just on duckduckgo since that is what the search bar uses) ?
(08-05-2022, 12:41 AM)Katie Rose Wrote: Was this from the ambleside search bar on the main page (or, alternatively, just on duckduckgo since that is what the search bar uses) ?

The search bar on the AO website.
MaryEllen
Mom of 2 AO Graduates
The following 1 user Likes MaryEllen's post:
  • Katie Rose

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problems after forum update Sept 2020 Phyllis 41 49,478 08-31-2021, 01:16 PM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Printing from new site smoses9239 12 15,527 07-31-2021, 10:04 AM
Last Post: smoses9239
  Curriculum site issue; Menus in Header Mscott07 9 11,882 06-24-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: LeslieNoelani
  Problems with Quick edit button Cargeek 11 13,760 12-14-2018, 04:18 AM
Last Post: Jenna Dilts
  Sidebars on site don't want to show in Safari Te-ge 0 1,725 04-12-2018, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Te-ge
Shocked Site not found error?? Mommychickadee 10 11,046 08-30-2017, 10:46 PM
Last Post: ARB
  Tapatalk problems? Phyllis 1 2,912 07-26-2016, 10:00 PM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Signature Problems Catherine 2 3,966 06-23-2015, 05:30 AM
Last Post: Catherine
  Update Link on AO Site Map trinitydaks 2 3,567 03-24-2015, 02:58 AM
Last Post: speedorwinska
  Searching the Forum Dawn Rhymer 0 1,645 03-01-2015, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Dawn Rhymer