Problems searching the AO site
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: [split] search function is not working
(08-04-2022, 05:05 AM)Katie Rose Wrote: From the main site I was searching for specific book titles that I was *certain* were on the site, and was getting 0 results. I was typing into the search box on the top of the site and was getting zero results. I thought I had mistyped, and then when and looked in the year I thought it was in which took a little longer that a search would have but since I had an idea of where to look wasn't a big deal. I really thought I had mistyped something and then didn't give it another thought when I manually when to what I was looking for.

I have had the same experience with recent searches on the main page. The last one was for Under the Tuscan Sun - I wanted to find out which year it is in before posting it to sell. I didn't get any hits using Firefox. (I had scanned the H.S. years and didn't see it, but found it later while looking for something else.) There were other searches, but I don't remember what they were for - mostly, books that I certain or almost certain were in AO and I couldn't remember the year.
Linda in NC
The following 1 user Likes busyncmama's post:
  • Katie Rose
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: Problems searching the AO site
(08-03-2022, 08:51 PM)abbuselli Wrote: I agree, this function has seemed to be down for maybe a month. I would go into the search bar and type something I know is part of the curriculum and then it takes me to the search website (where the items searched for have shown up in the past) but it just says what I searched for isn’t a part of the AmblesideOnline site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine still isn't working. The search engine is set to Duck Duck Go, but I assumed this was an AO setting, as we don't use this for anything. It only shows up for the AO site.

Can I control this? And how? Even when I go into my google chrome settings, it says that Google is set as the search engine.
The AO search bar does take you to Duck Duck Go, so that is an AO setting.

What happens if you paste this into your Google search?

Quote:geography site:amblesideonline.org

I mean, bypass AO's search bar completely. Go to Google as if you were going to do a regular search, and paste that in.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The DuckDuckGo part is AO's setting, but for many people that engine is working just fine. So it's not DuckDuckGo itself that is the problem. What we are trying to discern is what might be interfering with that search for particular users. In the meantime, if you search directly on Google as Leslie just suggested, you should be able to get results.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
To help find a resolution, we'll need some people who are experiencing this problem to do experiments with us to see what affects it and what does not. Who wants to help?
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
Oh! Please start by clearing your browser cache.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clear-cache-2617980

After you clear your browser cache, would you try the search feature and report back?
Kathy 
I thought people had posted about what browser or device they were using, but now I'm not seeing that. Could you also post that information if you're having a problem?
Kathy 
(08-06-2022, 11:06 PM)lklivingston Wrote: I thought people had posted about what browser or device they were using, but now I'm not seeing that.  Could you also post that information if you're having a problem?

Ah!  There were two different threads.  I just merged them.

Please try clearing your browser cache and report back about results.
Kathy 
It was not working for me a couple of days ago, but when I manually cleared cookies and tried now it seems to be fine. I am using the Via browser on Android. My browser is set to clear cookies every time I close it, but I guess it was still something to do with a cookie set somewhere.
Charlotte in Cape Town, South Africa
Little dragons girls: 5yo (Y1), 3yo (Y0)
The following 1 user Likes dragonkeeper's post:
  • lklivingston
I just cleared the cache in my Firefox browser, then searched for Under the Tuscan Sun. No results. I tried just Tuscan Sun, but still no results.
Linda in NC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problems after forum update Sept 2020 Phyllis 41 49,477 08-31-2021, 01:16 PM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Printing from new site smoses9239 12 15,526 07-31-2021, 10:04 AM
Last Post: smoses9239
  Curriculum site issue; Menus in Header Mscott07 9 11,881 06-24-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: LeslieNoelani
  Problems with Quick edit button Cargeek 11 13,759 12-14-2018, 04:18 AM
Last Post: Jenna Dilts
  Sidebars on site don't want to show in Safari Te-ge 0 1,725 04-12-2018, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Te-ge
Shocked Site not found error?? Mommychickadee 10 11,046 08-30-2017, 10:46 PM
Last Post: ARB
  Tapatalk problems? Phyllis 1 2,912 07-26-2016, 10:00 PM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Signature Problems Catherine 2 3,966 06-23-2015, 05:30 AM
Last Post: Catherine
  Update Link on AO Site Map trinitydaks 2 3,566 03-24-2015, 02:58 AM
Last Post: speedorwinska
  Searching the Forum Dawn Rhymer 0 1,645 03-01-2015, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Dawn Rhymer