We’ve Made Some Changes To Parts of Years 7-12!
Announcements/RE: We’ve Made Some Changes To Parts of Years 7-12!
(03-28-2023, 11:27 AM)busyncmama Wrote: I cannot locate the old booklists.

Look on the updated booklists somewhere between our amazon disclaimer and Bible, which is right after the "Key: What do all the symbols mean?"
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 2 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • dcil2479, lklivingston
(03-28-2023, 11:49 AM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: Look on the updated booklists somewhere between our amazon disclaimer and Bible, which is right after the "Key: What do all the symbols mean?"

I click on this "The previous version of this page can be accessed until June 2024 here." but it gives me the new booklist everytime.
Linda in NC
That link takes me to the old booklist.
Under "Suggested Devotional Reading," it lists

* ** The God Who is There by Francis Schaeffer
*** The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence

That's the old booklist.

https://amblesideonline.org/delete2024ao-y9-bks.php

(If you see "delete2024" in the url, it's an old booklist.)
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 1 user Likes LeslieNoelani's post:
  • Ranchermom2
(03-28-2023, 07:06 AM)Donna-Jean Wrote: - to “Spiritual Formation” and “Citizenship” -

Why are we doing this?

The world has changed in just a few years, and so many issues have evolved.  As a result, some of our worldview books are no longer current. They were dealing with issues that mattered eight years ago, but the world is rapidly changing and we want AmblesideOnline students to be prepared for the world that's out there right now (rather than fifteen years ago) and ready to live in that world.

This is for Years 7-12.

We've changed the titles: "Devotional" is now "Spiritual Formation" (and "Bible" is now a separate category), and "Worldview" is now "Citizenship."

For the “Spiritual Formation” books, we have added some inspirational missionary biographies. We've also increased the impact of the other books by highlighting just one or two per year. We have added one current book that's written by a contemporary (Jackie Hill Perry) yet is still doctrinally sound. Thus, AO's position hasn't changed, we've merely found a new voice to add to our timeless classic books.

"Citizenship" includes Ourselves, Plutarch, Worldview, Government and Economics, and Current Events. You can find all of those subjects in this category.

A few more important notes:
-Some of the books on the now “old” list in these categories are still included in the “new” list as “optional” or as “free reads” in other years.
-For those of you who wish to still use the old booklists and schedules, they will remain available on our website through the 2023-2024 school year.
-And Always, Always, ALWAYS, be sure to check our Footnotes.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for all of the hard work on this. We are so blessed!
Donna
Mastery cannot be hurried or forced, but patience & persistence will yield their fruit. - Karen Glass
Y9-10-11 in two years, Y8 Mother of two rowdy, but bright boys.

The following 1 user Likes Ranchermom2's post:
  • Donna-Jean
(03-28-2023, 11:57 AM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: That link takes me to the old booklist.
Under "Suggested Devotional Reading," it lists

* ** The God Who is There by Francis Schaeffer
*** The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence

That's the old booklist.

https://amblesideonline.org/delete2024ao-y9-bks.php

(If you see "delete2024" in the url, it's an old booklist.)
Thank you. Since the "Jump to" links on the right have the new titles, I thought I was going back to the new list.
Linda in NC
Thank you! I now have 5 different tabs of AO years open and am comparing all of them!

I'm particularly excited about the changes to Y8 - they look great for my son who will be in that year in the fall.

I also happened to notice that "Vision of the Annointed" is currently listed in both Year 10 (under government/econ) and Year 11 (under citizenship).
(I'm planning on scheduling this book for both my Y10 and Y11 next year, so this schedule works for me. :) )
Emily in Central WA
Mom to 4 boys (16yo, 15yo, 13yo, 8yo) and 2 little girls (10yo, 6yo)
AO Years 11, 10, 8, 5, 3 and 1
(03-28-2023, 12:10 PM)busyncmama Wrote: Since the "Jump to" links on the right have the new titles, I thought I was going back to the new list.

That sidebar with the subject headings is a separate file; when it changed, it changed for all the booklists.
  • busyncmama
(03-28-2023, 12:18 PM)EmilyT Wrote: I also happened to notice that "Vision of the Annointed" is currently listed in both Year 10 (under government/econ) and Year 11 (under citizenship).
(I'm planning on scheduling this book for both my Y10 and Y11 next year, so this schedule works for me. :) )

It moved from Year 10 to Year 11 -- the thought was that a year of maturity might make that book more meaningful for students. I must have missed it when I updated the Year 10 page. I'll fix it now.
  • EmilyT
Thank you for all of the hard work you put into cultivating this curriculum. It has blessed our family beyond measure. As I've examined the new changes, I see many free reads moved to a scheduled book, many books moved up or down a year, others that were read in their entirety and are now read in part, some new missionary stories (yay!), and some formerly scheduled books that are now in the optional category. My question is about the devotional books that seem to be dropped altogether. I no longer see the following books in any form (ie as a free read, scheduled or moved)

* The Pursuit of God (Tozer)
*A Ready Defense (McDowell)
*Desiring God (Piper)
*Evidence That Demands a Verdict ( McDowell)
*The God Who is There (Schaeffer)
*Knowing God (Packer)
*The Attributes of God (Pink)
*The Holiness of God (Sproul)
*The Mind of the Maker (Sayers)
* The Pleasures of God ( Piper)

I would love to understand a bit more of why all these books, which are considered classics, are no longer being scheduled or offered even as options? 
I absolutely love the addition of missionary biographies and I understand you have to cut some books as you add others. I understand worldview options being dropped as more relevant books become available.  My sincere question is to understand the move away from all of the titles listed above. We adore AO and look forward to the new additions, but my heart does hurt a bit thinking of all these lovely books no longer having a place in the curriculum. I would love to understand more about the dropping of these books if that's something you can share. Thank you and again we are very thankful for this curriculum and your work in putting it together and maintaining it.
Mom to dd14 (y9), dd12 (y7), dd 10 (y4), dd8 (y2/3), ds6 (y0/1), ds4 & dd4. Learning to homeschool with busy twins ;) ...loving AO!
(03-29-2023, 02:07 AM)Cameron Wrote: Thank you for all of the hard work you put into cultivating this curriculum. It has blessed our family beyond measure. As I've examined the new changes, I see many free reads moved to a scheduled book, many books moved up or down a year, others that were read in their entirety and are now read in part, some new missionary stories (yay!), and some formerly scheduled books that are now in the optional category. My question is about the devotional books that seem to be dropped altogether. I no longer see the following books in any form (ie as a free read, scheduled or moved)

* The Pursuit of God (Tozer)
*A Ready Defense (McDowell)
*Desiring God (Piper)
*Evidence That Demands a Verdict ( McDowell)
*The God Who is There (Schaeffer)
*Knowing God (Packer)
*The Attributes of God (Pink)
*The Holiness of God (Sproul)
*The Mind of the Maker (Sayers)
* The Pleasures of God ( Piper)

I would love to understand a bit more of why all these books, which are considered classics, are no longer being scheduled or offered even as options? 
I absolutely love the addition of missionary biographies and I understand you have to cut some books as you add others. I understand worldview options being dropped as more relevant books become available.  My sincere question is to understand the move away from all of the titles listed above. We adore AO and look forward to the new additions, but my heart does hurt a bit thinking of all these lovely books no longer having a place in the curriculum. I would love to understand more about the dropping of these books if that's something you can share. Thank you and again we are very thankful for this curriculum and your work in putting it together and maintaining it.

I’m curious, too. My understanding of the post was that the unscheduled books would be moved to free reads. Maybe it’s just not been updated yet?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Updated Madam How in text-only version (Years 4 and 5) AnneWhite 0 12,550 07-24-2020, 09:40 PM
Last Post: AnneWhite
  Schedule Changes Years 4, 5, 6 LeslieNoelani 72 869,384 09-12-2018, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Bliss
  New! and Improved! Combo years 7/8 and 8/9 LeslieNoelani 19 190,986 08-17-2018, 05:07 AM
Last Post: wanderingstar
  Geography Addition: Years 4-6 LeslieNoelani 22 272,661 03-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Last Post: BecTasmanian
  Thank you to all who made the 2015 At Home retreat complete and special KarenG 3 62,509 08-02-2015, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Megan Hoyt
  Science Change: Years 2 and 3/Pagoo LeslieNoelani 1 62,459 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Phyllis