We’ve Made Some Changes To Parts of Years 7-12!
Announcements/RE: We’ve Made Some Changes To Parts of Years 7-12!
(03-29-2023, 06:00 AM)Audreygilligan Wrote: I hope those of us genuinely asking questions to help us understand the reasoning we don’t see behind the book changes aren’t coming across as those who wish to stand on the back porch and pitch a fit about why we don’t like the new books chosen. 

For me personally, I was just curious as to the reason for removing them entirely. I’ve read JHP’s Holiness of God and while I haven’t read the removed Attributes of God, I can infer from JHP’s book content and the Attributes title that the reason is the content covered is very similar but with examples from the modern era to help readers better understand that attribute/aspect of God’s character. I understand a complete substitution in that case because the topic is not being removed, just shifted. I just wondered if the rationale behind the removal of books from the list entirely was along similar lines or not. I wasn’t complaining or intending to question the Advisory’s motives or process, just wanting to understand. 

If I want to re-create grandma’s Turkey, I’d love to know how she cooked it. I want instructions along with ingredients. ;)

Everybody’s using the same cookbook. AO offers the volumes for free on their site. Grandma shows everybody two versions even.. easy and hard. The better idea for everyone would be to pick a book and start diving into it instead of trying to get grandma, who just spent all this time working on this, to detail out every private conversation they’ve had concerning every book. The time that would take is a pretty big ask… and that’s not going to accomplish anything. We’re going to eat. You’re welcome to sit and ask people questions but seriously.. they shouldn’t have to explain 14 months or two years of their inner debates to a newbie. No offense.

We all have to figure out these answers for ourselves anyway. The Advisory has changed their recommendations. It’s our job to decide and follow, or not. Seriously, there’s nothing stopping anyone from opening up a thread on Mind of the Maker or the Gene Veith book for instance and sharing their review of it. Maybe that will help people to pick.
Katie
Laughing fellow rover in Spain, stumbling towards Christ with a hubby and two boys who are more precious than gold. (Currently in Y7 and Y5)
The following 5 users Like Primeperiwinkle's post:
  • EchoOfJoy, kdernier, Lani, Mrs. A, Subversive Gardener

Messages In This Thread
RE: We’ve Made Some Changes To Parts of Years 7-12! - by Primeperiwinkle - 03-29-2023, 06:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Updated Madam How in text-only version (Years 4 and 5) AnneWhite 0 12,671 07-24-2020, 09:40 PM
Last Post: AnneWhite
  Schedule Changes Years 4, 5, 6 LeslieNoelani 72 873,837 09-12-2018, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Bliss
  New! and Improved! Combo years 7/8 and 8/9 LeslieNoelani 19 192,078 08-17-2018, 05:07 AM
Last Post: wanderingstar
  Geography Addition: Years 4-6 LeslieNoelani 22 274,039 03-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Last Post: BecTasmanian
  Thank you to all who made the 2015 At Home retreat complete and special KarenG 3 62,815 08-02-2015, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Megan Hoyt
  Science Change: Years 2 and 3/Pagoo LeslieNoelani 1 62,651 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Phyllis