Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked
Someone from the AO Facebook group recommended that I post this here. I've noticed that some books that aren't provided with an archive.org, Gutenberg, or other free public domain link on the AO booklist do actually have free online versions available on archive.org or other sites (mostly archive). Archive.org does require you to create a free account and borrow them by the hour. I know a lot of other AO parents have found these because they are sometimes checked out! But I thought it could be helpful to add those links to the booklists so new AO users know that they're not required to buy those books. Here's my preliminary list, and I'll add more as I come across them:

Benjamin Frankin, Ingri D'Aulaire (Y1)
Poor Richard by James Daughtry (Y4)
Joan of Arc by Diane Stanley (Form 1B groups)
Paddle to the Sea by Holling C Holling (Y1)

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk
The following 2 users Like mama_kate's post:
  • fieldsla, Sammie2
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked
This is a good idea because for a long time I thought archive was another site for only public domain books. I’ll add that Squanto by Ziner is also available. It isn’t on the main schedule anymore, but I think it’s listed as an alternative for Landing of the Pilgrims.
Mama of 6 (YR 6, YR 4, YR 2, Preschooler, Toddler, and Baby) <3 
The following 1 user Likes MonicaC's post:
  • Purposeful Abnegation
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked
I read Squanto on archive and we enjoyed it so much! It was worth reading it overtime and remembering where we had last left off for us to borrow it again.
Wife to my highschool archenemy and mother of 4, AO Year 9, Year 7, Year 4, Year 0.  "Mothers work wonders once they are convinced that wonders are demanded of them." Charlotte Mason
The following 2 users Like CrazyMama's post:
  • amerebreath, Purposeful Abnegation
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked
I'll wait to link these on the website. Archive.org is going through some legal troubles right now, and I'm not sure they'll be allowed to continue loaning ebooks.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 3 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • CrazyMama, Sammie2, Subversive Gardener
(05-05-2024, 12:06 PM)mama_kate Wrote: Someone from the AO Facebook group recommended that I post this here. I've noticed that some books that aren't provided with an archive.org, Gutenberg, or other free public domain link on the AO booklist do actually have free online versions available on archive.org or other sites (mostly archive). Archive.org does require you to create a free account and borrow them by the hour. I know a lot of other AO parents have found these because they are sometimes checked out! But I thought it could be helpful to add those links to the booklists so new AO users know that they're not required to buy those books. Here's my preliminary list, and I'll add more as I come across them:

Benjamin Frankin, Ingri D'Aulaire (Y1)
Poor Richard by James Daughtry (Y4)
Joan of Arc by Diane Stanley (Form 1B groups)
Paddle to the Sea by Holling C Holling (Y1)

I'm not able to delete my post but it definitely makes sense to wait for that before linking to them. Thank you Leslie!

We wouldn't want you to delete your post anyway! This information may be helpful to others.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 2 users Like lklivingston's post:
  • Sammie2, Subversive Gardener

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No Easter books on Holidays page? ckuznetsov 2 3,913 11-29-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  New website — artist and composer years linked Sandy O 3 5,353 07-14-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Sandy O
  citing public domain images? tonik 2 3,378 04-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Last Post: tonik
  Books fs etihwnyrhtak 2 3,671 04-22-2018, 11:19 PM
Last Post: etihwnyrhtak
  Is Tapatalk making the forum public? Kathy W. 20 24,195 09-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Last Post: Joy
  Amb.leside online e-mail loop LindsayL 13 15,950 05-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Last Post: Jeanne Webb
  Ambleside Online Security Certificate? papayapip 9 11,050 07-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Titus2teen
  books for sale? Kari Ellen 2 3,761 11-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Kari Ellen