I can't get used to the new "New Posts" icon
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/I can't get used to the new "New Posts" icon
The dark ones look like they're off and the pale ones look like they're lit up, so I keep expecting the pale ones to mean New Posts.  I'll have to make my brain read the dark ones as full and the pale ones as empty, or something like that, so I can remember what's what.

[Ha ha ha ha!] 
~~27yod, 26yos, 24yod, 22yos, 18yod, 16yos, 14yod~~
Landscape Plotted and Pieced (formerly The BadgerMum)
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: I can't get used to the new "New Posts" icon
I never even noticed that...I always just look for the green arrow and click on that so it takes me to the latest unread post in that thread. All the other little icons/dots/bookmarks confuse me, probably because I'm used to tapatalk.
Laura & sons, yr 10 and yr 0  [cheesy grin]
Blog, Pinterest, FB , IG, Goodreads
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: I can't get used to the new "New Posts" icon
(01-08-2015, 07:39 AM)laurke Wrote: I never even noticed that...I always just look for the green arrow and click on that so it takes me to the latest unread post in that thread. All the other little icons/dots/bookmarks confuse me, probably because I'm used to tapatalk.

Me too. I wasn't even sure which icons were being referred to! It's funny how we all view the forum so differently.
MaryEllen
Mom of 2 AO Graduates
LOL! That is different.  I had to go looking for the green arrows. Those are inside each forum and indicate a new reply to a post, and I think they're the same as they were before.

I was talking about when you're in the index -- the place that lists all the forums:  "Annoucements," "Form I," "Math," "Prayer Requests," "Chit-Chat," and all the rest -- and means that there's something new inside that forum, whether a new post or a new reply to an existing post.

I've never come here on my phone, so I don't know what the index page looks like in that format.
The following 1 user Likes Kelly Cumbee's post:
  • laurke
Ah, you see, I always start by clicking on View New Posts rather than looking at the landing page. That way I don't have to scroll through as much, I can immediately see what is new since my last visit, then I can click the green arrow to go to the first new post in a thread.
MaryEllen
Mom of 2 AO Graduates
The following 7 users Like MaryEllen's post:
  • Celeste, Cindy Belcher, harmonyml, Lani, Lisa-v, Primeperiwinkle, Rondalyno
Oh, wow, I've never noticed that feature before. I usually just scroll down the index and decide which forums I want to check up on.  That's interesting -- I'll have to try doing it that way for a while see whether I like it better than my usual way.

Thanks for mentioning it!
(01-08-2015, 03:19 PM)MaryEllen Wrote: Ah, you see, I always start by clicking on View New Posts rather than looking at the landing page. That way I don't have to scroll through as much, I can immediately see what is new since my last visit, then I can click the green arrow to go to the first new post in a thread.

Thank you for reminding me of this.  I typically use "View Today's Posts," but posts older than 24 hours drop off.  I was thinking about what would happen if I wasn't on the forum at least once every 24 hours.  But, but "View New Posts" would take care of that for me, wouldn't it?  Would it show me all new posts since the last time I was on the forum, be it 6 hours or 6 weeks?
Dawn, Georgia
"Knowledge is love and light and vision."  Helen Keller
Blogging at the CMER Blog.
The following 1 user Likes Dawn Rhymer's post:
  • Lani
You can also use a link like this:
http://amblesideonline.org/forum/search....ily&days=2
and change the number extend the range of what you want. My example would show you yesterday and today. If you want all week, change it to 7, and so on.
Phyllis in Ukraine, with Jaan (AO grad), Raia (AO grad), Asya (age 16), Bogdan (age 13)
The following 3 users Like Phyllis's post:
  • amerebreath, DaughterofEve, Dawn Rhymer
(01-09-2015, 01:03 AM)Dawn Girl Wrote: Thank you for reminding me of this.  I typically use "View Today's Posts," but posts older than 24 hours drop off.  I was thinking about what would happen if I wasn't on the forum at least once every 24 hours.  But, but "View New Posts" would take care of that for me, wouldn't it?  Would it show me all new posts since the last time I was on the forum, be it 6 hours or 6 weeks?

Yes, when I have been out of town for a few days, my View New Posts page is very long. :)
MaryEllen
Mom of 2 AO Graduates
(01-09-2015, 02:22 AM)Phyllis Wrote: You can also use a link like this:
http://amblesideonline.org/forum/search....ily&days=2
and change the number extend the range of what you want. My example would show you yesterday and today. If you want all week, change it to 7, and so on.

Thank you for this tip.  I was trying to use, "View New Posts," today, but it isn't quite working out for me in the manner in which I use the forum. 

I open the forum and just keep it open in the background while homeschooling.  I read/post/answer when there is a break or as a child works independently on something next to me.  It has been very helpful to me, because it has given me something productive to do while I'm waiting on child to finish a reading or an assignment.  I have found larger projects hard to work on during homeschooling because I'm not good at starting and stopping.  However, the forum fits in beautifully.

That said, it can take me a long time to write a single post because I can leave and come back to it many times (which has already happened with this particular one), and what I just noticed was that though I might not leave the forum and come back, my "New Posts" has changed.  So for example, when I initially choose "New Posts," there might be 15 there.  I choose one and begin to answer.  An hour later, I get the answer finished, and I return to "New Posts," and now there are only five listed. 

How does the "New Posts" actually work?
Dawn, Georgia
"Knowledge is love and light and vision."  Helen Keller
Blogging at the CMER Blog.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  too many auto-subscribe posts to follow, how to unsubscribe MichelleDee 2 3,978 08-14-2023, 05:44 AM
Last Post: MichelleDee
  How to see all posts on entire forum by date HannahA 11 14,917 07-17-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: HannahA
  In Search of Posts Sammie2 5 7,779 06-22-2023, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Sammie2
  Can no longer edit my old posts Rebecca G 20 24,235 06-18-2022, 09:28 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Quote Appearing in New Posts Sandy O 8 10,271 10-06-2021, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Sandy O
  Moderated Posts lesliegid 10 12,793 04-23-2021, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Maysaa
  I Can't See Average Number of Posts Per Day Maysaa 5 6,851 04-16-2021, 10:09 PM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Reading posts in a given time frame HC... 2 3,930 11-09-2015, 04:16 AM
Last Post: HC...
  find moved posts Friederike 3 4,467 08-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Last Post: MelisaH
  weird thing added to my posts SherryElmer 20 24,756 06-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Last Post: MelisaH