Exam Questions for Year 8/9 Lite Term 3
1. Briefly discuss the four loves.
2. Describe the visit of the Queen of Sheba and the magnificence of Solomon. Or, Why did Jeroboam set up two calves of gold? Describe the denunciation that followed at Bethel.
3. Give an account of the greatest commandment.
4. Tell about the sheep and the goats.
1. Write 8-10 lines of poetry from memory.
(Assigned passage is in the Exam Key.)
1. Narrate an episode from She Stoops to Conquer or one of Jane Haldimand Marcet's essays.
2. Write about your favorite character from Pride and Prejudice.
3. Summarize a poem you enjoyed this term.
1. Write a sentence using an adverb formed by adding the "-ly" suffix to an adjective.
2. Write sentences showing correct use of "to," "two" and "too."
3. Is the italicized word an adverb or adjective?
I passed the test easily.
He is a good speller.
4. Identify parts of speech for the italicized words. For nouns and pronouns, say also whether the word is singular or plural. For verbs, say also whether the verb is in past, present, or future tense: In Lydia's imagination, a visit to Brighton comprised every possibility of earthly happiness. She saw, with the creative eye of fancy, the streets of that gay bathing-place covered with officers. She saw herself the object of attention, to tens and to scores of them at present unknown.
1. Tell what you know about the Stamp Act.
2. Tell what you know about the War of Independence (Revolutionary War).
3. Tell about Robert Clive, Warren Hastings and India. Or, tell what you know about Alexander Hamilton and James Madison.
4. Discuss reforms and changes in England after they lost the war with America OR Tell what you know about Trafalgar.
5. What do you know about the American Constitution?
6. What were the causes of the French Revolution? OR Tell all you know about the War of 1812.
1. Describe H-4's voyage with Captain Cook and the results.
2. Why is longitude calculated from Greenwich?
Natural History and General Science
1. Choose a question matched to your term's science subject from here or from your science program.
2. Choose a question matched to your term's science subject from here or from your science program.
3. How do plants form fruit?
4. What is the dark side of freons? Or, What is the 2,6,10 rule?
5. "Force-carrying particles can be grouped into four categories." List them, and briefly explain each. Or, briefly discuss quantum gravity.
1. Use the Year 7-10 Questions for this term's Plutarch from this page.
2. What are some things we need to form opinions about?
3. Would the world be better if all wages were doubled? Explain.
Arithmetic/Geometry (Questions from your math program may be substituted.)
1. Demonstrate the distributive property: 9(2a + b + 4) = ____
2. Julie has a jar of beads. She used half of them to make a bracelet. Later she bought more, tripling the number of beads in the jar. Now there are 33 beads in the jar. How many beads did Julie start with?
3. A triangle has three angles labeled x, y, and z. The ratio of x to y is 1:13. The ratio of y to z is 13:1. What is the value of each of the angles, x, y, and z?
4. A store is advertising a 35 percent discount on an item they marked up 5 percent from the factory price of $350. The sales tax is 8.25 percent. What does the item cost?
5. A train leaves the station at 2:00 pm at 40 mph. Another train headed in the opposite direction leaves the same station at 4:00 pm at 60 mph. To the nearest mile, how far are the two trains from each other at 6:00 pm?
6. Solve for x: 68 = 4(2x + 3)
1. In your foreign language, tell in complete sentences how you would arrange and decorate a room you'll be spending a lot of time in.
2. Describe a picture in your language book, using your foreign language.
Describe a picture from this term's picture study.
Father should choose a poem, two Bible verses and/or a scene from Shakespeare learned this term for student to recite.
Music (such as playing an instrument)
Parent or instructor should assess child's progress.
1. Tell about your favorite piece of music from this term.
2. Question to be taken from this term's Composer Study here
Sing your favorite folksong and hymn from this term.
Show some work in handicrafts from this term to someone outside your family.