Exam Questions for Year 9 Lite Term 2
1. Briefly discuss the four loves.
2. "I will raise up thy seed after thee, which shall be of thy sons; and I will establish his kingdom." Summarize David's response to this promise.
3. Describe David's preparations for the new temple.
4. Give an account of Saul of Tarsus's education and conversion.
5. Describe Peter's vision. What was its significance?
Write 8-10 lines of poetry from memory.
(Assigned passage is in the Exam Key.)
1. Narrate an episode from The Count of Monte Cristo.
2. Tell something of the life of Alexander Pope, Samuel Johnson, or Oliver Goldsmith.
3. Summarize a poem you enjoyed this term.
1. Write a sentence using an adverb formed by adding the "-ly" suffix to an adjective.
2. Write sentences showing correct use of "to," "two" and "too."
3. Is the italicized word an adverb or adjective?
I passed the test easily.
He is a good speller.
4. Identify parts of speech for the italicized words. For nouns and pronouns, say also whether the word is singular or plural. For verbs, say also whether the verb is in past, present, or future tense: It left scars upon his good-looking face, and nearly robbed him of his eyesight. In those days people still believed that this dreadful disease would be cured if the person suffering from it was touched by a royal hand. So when he was two, little Samuel was taken to London by his father and mother, and there he was 'touched' by Queen Anne.
1. What do you know about Sir Robert Walpole? Or, tell what you know about Thomas Jefferson.
2. Give an account of the War of Austrian Succession. Or, discuss Thomas Paine's 'Common Sense' and its influence.
3. Tell what you know about the Seven Years' War and/or William Pitt.
4. Tell what you know about the Stamp Act. Or, how did the Revolutionary War affect the slaves?
5. Tell what you know about the War of Independence (Revolutionary War).
6. Tell about Robert Clive, Warren Hastings and India. Or, tell what you know about Alexander Hamilton and James Madison. Or, Describe how the American people reacted to seeing their Constitution for the first time.
1. What is "the clock of heaven"? How was it used by mariners?
2. "Harrison's big sea clocks, like his tower clock at Brocklesby Park, have more wherewithal to withstand regular use because of . . ." Because of what?
Natural History and General Science
1. Describe some desert plants.
2. Choose a question matched to your term's science subject from here or from your science program.
3. Choose a question matched to your term's science subject from here or from your science program.
1. Use the Year 7-10 Questions for this term's Plutarch from this page.
2. "And, spite of pride in erring reason's spite, One truth is clear, whatever is, is right." Explain Pope's argument in your own words.
3. Discuss integrity in our work.
4. Discuss rationality/irrationality, or give some characteristics of cults.
Father to choose an unseen passage, giving marks for enunciation.
Arithmetic/Geometry (Questions from your math program may be substituted.)
1. Solve for x: 68 = 4(2x + 3)
2. The distance travelled by Bo and Zack is in the ratio 3:4. The distance travelled by Bo is 18 miles. Find the distance travelled by Zack.
3. A teacher bought 26 sketchbooks for $37.70. How much did each book cost?
4. Find the area of a circle with a diameter of 14 cm.
5. 360 is what percent more than 320?
1. Make up a dialogue in your foreign language from a scene you read about in one of your books this term.
2. Describe a picture in your language book, using your foreign language.
1. Describe a picture from this term's picture study.
Father should choose a poem, two Bible verses and/or a scene from Shakespeare learned this term for student to recite.
Music (such as playing an instrument)
Parent or instructor should assess child's progress.
1. Tell about your favorite piece of music from this term.
2. Question to be taken from this term's Composer Study here.
Sing your favorite folksong and hymn from this term.
Show some work in handicrafts from this term to someone outside your family.